Huwebes, Nobyembre 28, 2013

The Storm Analysis

Last wednesday, we discussed the story called The Storm by Kate Chopin. It is about a woman, Calixta, who is married to Bobinot and a mother to Bibi, who had an affair with Alcee who is also married. The way the affair started and ended is parallel with the storm in the story. The storm started when Alcee when to Calixta’s house so that he won’t be caught up by the rain. In, our discussion, Alcee sees the strom as an opportunity to be with her.When the lightning began, the sex also did. And when it was bright and sunny, it was when it ended already. The reason that it ended in a good weather is because in the story, no one knew about the affair except the two characters that are involved. The story ended in an unusual (for me) happy ending.

My professor asked us whether Calixta is a bad person. And we have to explain why or why not? The question for me is very subjective. In my opinion, we can never say a person is generally bad. We always have our bad side and good side. I agree with what one of my classmate said. She is not a bad person but a bad wife. As a wife, she must commit herself to be with just one man. I still believe that I can only love one person. And if she did not want to be with Bobinot, she should have left him. And I think that is more understandable than cheating. It’s still unfair for Bobinot and it’s still wrong for me.

From what I interpreted to what my professor is said, Calixta is still a good person. He believes that ignorance is bliss. I believe in that saying too. But I disagree in this situation. Cheating is still cheating. What Calixta might feel after the sex might be happiness, but it is not true happiness. True happiness is equals the truth. Lies will always haunt you and will never see you free.

Anyways, what I want to say to her is: Oh well, goodluck to you, Calixta. Honestly, it’s wrong to talk about other people’s life. What you did was wrong, for me. But who am I to judge your life? I AM NOT EVEN INVOLVED IN THIS AFFAIR.  I do respect your decisions. Sorry, we are just discussing a good literary work. Sadly, you are in it.


2 komento:

  1. I just want to defend Calixta since most people in our class considered her as bad, but I respect your opinion. :) I think Calixta doesn't love Alcee and she just want a fubu. Also, Bobinot did not ask her what happened to her during the storm so the tendency was she would not tell anything to him. Lastly, I believe in the saying that "Masarap ang bawal." lol

    TumugonBurahin
  2. We still have our own values of whether judging her as a good person or not. Although we can have our own say given the proper knowledge of what happened, we can't really tell as to if she is a good or bad person. I think that a mere wrongdoing cannot define the person as a whole. She may have done a hundred good stuff despite her 1 bad doing = is she already a bad person given the possible single wrong thing she may have done. (IMO)

    TumugonBurahin